The eyes can tell a lot about your overall health. As you age, certain changes that you may or may not be aware of often take place and may affect your overall vision. If left untreated, some of these eye problems can result in partial or total blindness. However, there are a few preventive measures you can take to ensure you enjoy your vision for the longest time possible. Whether it’s wearing sunglasses to prevent the sun’s UV rays from damaging your eyes, eating fruits and vegetables to ensure healthy eyes or visiting your eye doctor at least once a year for a comprehensive eye exam, you can be in charge of your eye health to enjoy sharper vision throughout your life. According to Elite Vision Centers, below are serious eye diseases that can be prevented by eye exams.
Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Commonly abbreviated as AMD, this condition can damage and destroy your central vision. The disease can be dry, which affects 90% of AMD patients or wet, which is a more advanced form and affects the remaining 10% of AMD patients. 90% of all serious cases of vision loss are caused by wet AMD. Some of the risk factors include age (over 60 years), smoking, a family history of the condition, obesity, high blood pressure, and being Caucasian and female. While AMD is often painless and may worsen slowly, it can also cause sudden, dramatic changes in the patient’s vision. Therefore, going for an eye exam is often encouraged because early detection and treatment can slow down the process of vision loss.
This is another serious eye disease that can be detected and treated by eye exams. The condition is characterized by cloudy lenses and may become more noticeable in a single eye before it proceeds to affect the other eye. It often results in blurry vision because not much light can pass through a cloudy lens. While cataracts may not affect vision at first, they ultimately do after they grow denser. Risk factors include aging, diabetes, eye trauma and injury, eye surgery to treat another problem, a family history of cataracts, pregnancy-related causes, smoking, certain medications, and overexposing the eyes to the harsh UV rays of the sun. Symptoms may include faded colors, blurry or cloudy vision, poor night vision, increased glare from lamps, and doubled/ghosted vision.
This eye disease commonly affects people with diabetes. It tends to affect both eyes. Vision loss is often a result of damaged blood vessels caused by the disease. Having diabetes (type 1 or type 2) is a major risk factor; although your vision may not remain unaffected while the disease progresses. Symptoms may include blurred vision and floaters.
While the symptoms may not be immediately visible until the condition has damaged the optic nerve, glaucoma is a serious eye disease that can be detected during a routine eye exam. The condition is characterized by escalated intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye), which can damage the nerves that transmit images to the brain.
These are serious eye diseases that can result in vision loss. Eye doctors recommend that you go for an annual eye exam to help detect and treat them before they progress to more advanced stages. This is especially important if you’re at risk for any of these eye diseases.