If during the construction of a country house there were violations of technology, then their consequences will not be long in coming. Basement flooding is a common problem. What to do in such a situation? But before moving to the article you should check out the flooded basement Chicago, if you need service in Chicago.
Basement flooding reasons are given below:
- Improperly performed waterproofing in an area with a growing groundwater level in spring – water in the basement will come regularly;
- Shortcomings in the calculations and installation of the blind area around the house – flooding in this case can provoke heavy rains, especially in autumn.
Regardless of the reasons that led to such a situation, you first need to drain the basement (using a hydraulic pump), after which:
- Pull out racks, shelves and other devices for storing things and products. Wooden crates should be dried in the sun and then treated with a protective agent;
- Open all windows and doors to the basement (subject to clear and dry weather);
- Put boxes with absorbing substances (dry lime, charcoal) in the base; if possible, it is necessary to remove the top layer of the floor covering and cover the surface with sand;
- Wipe condensate, moisture residues from the walls, treat them with potassium permanganate;
- You can fumigate the room with sulphur (if you have the time and opportunity) – it helps to cope with putrefactive bacteria. For this, a smoke bomb is lit and left in the room for a while.
There are several ways to remove moisture from the room:
- Brazier – in this capacity you can use an old bucket. Holes are made in the bottom (for traction) and legs are attached to it. Birch firewood is placed in a bucket, set on fire and lowered on a cable into the centre of the basement. Burning time – at least 12 hours. During processing, it is prohibited to be inside the basement;
- A candle is a safer option. It is installed under the ventilation hole. Since the whole process will take several days, you can replace the plug with a gasoline burner. The use of dry alcohol additionally disinfects the room;
- Electrical appliances – it is best to use a heat gun, which will quickly cope with the task at hand, without spending a lot of energy;
- Forced ventilation – if there is an extractor hood in the basement, you can dry the basement using high-power fans.
How to prevent basement flooding?
It is easier to prevent any problem than to eliminate its consequences later. The best prevention of basement flooding is its high-quality waterproofing.
Ideally, this is taken care of even at the stage of building the house, but it is never too late to correct the shortcomings and make waterproofing. To do this, use roofing material, liquid glass or rubber.
Work must be carried out only after the basement has completely dried. As soon as the room is completely ready, you can bring things, food, shelves into it and use it further.